Skip to main content
Skip to main content.

Restraining Orders

What is a Restraining Order?

The Domestic Violence Restraining Order is used to protect you or your children under the age of 18 who live with you from violence or the threat of violence. In order to be eligible for this type of restraining order, the violence or threats must come from someone in your family or in your home or with whom you have a close relationship (i.e., spouse, parent, child, boyfriend, girlfriend).

A Domestic Violence Restraining Order is used to stop a specific act against you, keep a specific person away from you, have someone living with you removed from your home and other miscellaneous orders (i.e., temporary child custody, child visitation, child support, property control).

Protective orders are also available for elders or dependent adults.

* Please Note: The COVID-19 pandemic may affect our hours of operation. You can confirm our current hours of operation by accessing the COVID-19 information page.

Requests for Restraining Orders that are submitted by 8:45 a.m. are available for pick up the following court day from 12:00 p.m. - 12:30 p.m. at 1100 I Street, in the Family Law lobby, Window #1.

Judicial Council forms, local forms and packets are available at the following locations:

  • Court’s Self-Help Center at 800 11th Street, Room 220, Modesto, CA from 8:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. and 1:00 p.m. - 3:00 p.m., Monday - Thursday and CLOSED on Fridays. The Self-Help Center also provides guidance with filling out the forms.
  • Family Law Clerk's Office at 1100 I Street, Modesto, CA during regular business hours. Forms are also available by mail at P.O. Box 1098, Modesto, CA 95353-1098.
  • Stanislaus County Law Library located at 1101 13th Street, Modesto, CA.

Filings may be submitted in person, by mail or by fax. For more information regarding fax filing requirements, please refer to: Automated Fax Filing System.

What is a Request for Order?

A Request for Order is a form used to establish or modify orders in a family law case when there is already an existing court case OR you are opening a new case along with a Petition, such as a Dissolution, Legal Separation or Complaint to Establish Parental Relationship. The Request for Order form is used when you would like a judge or a mediator to decide issues that cannot be agreed upon between you and the other party.

The Request for Order can be used if you want to change an existing order or are seeking temporary orders for child custody, child visitation, child support, spousal support, property control or other miscellaneous issues. THE REQUEST FOR ORDER FORM CANNOT BE USED IF YOU ARE SEEKING A PERSONAL CONDUCT STAY-AWAY ORDER. IF YOU NEED THIS TYPE OF ORDER, YOU MUST USE THE DOMESTIC VIOLENCE RESTRAINING ORDER FORMS.

Please note: If you are filing a Complaint to Establish Parental Relationship and look on the Court's website for your court date, it will NOT be listed because this is a confidential file. The only persons who have access to this information are the parties involved in the action (parental mother and father).

What is an Ex Parte Notice?

When you are seeking a temporary order you are required to give the other party at least 24 hours' notice of your intent to seek temporary orders against the other party.

The Declaration re: Notice Upon Ex Parte Application for Orders is a form that you must complete when you seek temporary orders to let the Court know whether the other party has been notified that you intend to seek temporary orders. There is a section on the form that must be completed if you do not wish to give notice because of any possible repercussions that may occur as a result of the other party being served with these orders. This form is available here.

A Declaration re: Notice Upon Ex Parte Application for Orders MUST ALWAYS be filed when requesting any ex parte order for Request for Order with temporary orders.

You can also visit the Self-Help Center at the California Courts website at for additional information regarding these documents and case types. Judicial Council forms are also available at the following link:

Was this helpful?

This question is for testing whether or not you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.